Smoked Sausage & Black-Eyed Pea Soup
- 16 oz bag dried black eyed peas
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 Tbsp bacon drippings or oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 whole fresh jalapeno, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can rotel, mild or original
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- Soak peas in cold water overnight. Drain the next day.
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, brown smoked sausage in oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add onion and cook for 5 more minutes, Reduce heat to medium and add jalapeno and garlic and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked peas, rotel with juice, chicken broth and water. Bring to a hard boil.
- Reduce heat to medium/medium low and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for 2 hours or until peas are tender. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Tabasco sauce and corn muffins.